But when a young lady is to become a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way.

Jane Austen


Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me

I was looking for new authors to read the other day and a friend of mine suggested I read any book by Jennifer Crusie. I don’t normally go out of my realm of historical romance books but I trust the person who recommended her. I am so thankful I listened to her! Jennifer Crusie’s Bet Me is officially on my top 10 favorite books and considering all the books on my list are historical I believe that says something about her.

Min Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man like Cal Morrisey, who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Cal Morrisey knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But Fate has other plans, and it’s not long before Min and Cal are dealing with meddling friends, wedding cake, a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kremes, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a frantic bride, Chicken Marsala, a mutant cat, snow globes, two Mothers-from-Hell, great shoes, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of including the biggest gamble of all–unconditional love

Now I’ve never written a book review, I have problems rambling on (which I’m working on) and all the books I try to write turn into short stories so this may well be the worst book review ever. But what I can say, without too much rambling, is that I love this book. It’s not nice to read a book about your average girl. Well I wouldn’t call Min Dobbs average but in a sense she is. She’s not perfect, she’s not skinny and she’s not stylish. She’s your average, run of the mill female, at least when it comes to her body she is. I’ve read so many books with the perfect heroine, well they do have some flaws, but none like Min. And as much as I love reading those books its hard to sometimes completely relate to the heroine. I could actually see myself as Min and understand completely why she is the way she is. As for the hero, Cal, there’s only one thing to say about him; he is my perfect man (and officially my new book boyfriend).

Like I said I’m not a good book reviewer. I really just wanted to share this with y’all.  I will get better, I promise :) Oh, and any advice on writting reviews would be more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment